Friday, November 22, 2013

Auntie's Sugar Cookies

Thank goodness it's Friday right??    So why not whip up a little treat for yourselves this weekend, some good old fashioned 

sugar cookies!  



When we got married, one of the best gifts I received at my shower was some cookie sheets and baking supplies, along with my Great-Aunts sugar cookie recipe.  Since I love to share, all the lucky folks who find me floating out in cyber space will get to enjoy this sweet treat with me!

Before we get started, I must tell you that if you are looking for a roll out sugar cookie, this is not the one.  But trust me, they are good!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Start by creaming the above ingredients together.  Trust me, when I say cream, I mean it!  Get it nice and smooth.
Next, add:
And again, Cream well.  I usually just turn the ol' mixer on and put things away while I let it beat.
Finally, add your dry ingredients:
5 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream of tarter
Your dough should be a nice consistency that doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl, but not crumbly.
Give your cookie sheet a very light greasing.  I usually just mist it with a little
Roll your dough into about 2 inch balls.
Flatten with a round glass dipped in sugar.
I like to make my sugar have a little tinge of color.  I do this by putting it in a bowl with a lid and adding a drop or two of food coloring.  Close the lid and give it a good shake.  You don't have to do this if you don't want, of course!
And, Smash!
If you don't want them crispy, do not smash them too flat!
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
And enjoy!

I would have to say that these are one of my guilty pleasures.  I always put about a quarter of the batch in the cookie jar and freeze the rest.  They come out of the freezer nice and fresh, and then they don't get eaten as fast.  This makes them easy to grab and stick in the kids' lunch, or to grab one after a long day, and enjoy with a cup of tea.
Yum Yum!

Auntie's Sugar Cookies

1 cup shortening (original recipe calls for margarine)
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
5 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tarter


~Corrie



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you, and try to get back to everyone. Please remember that if you are a "No Reply Blogger" I cannot respond to your comment. Thanks for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...