Thursday, March 12, 2015

To Sew, or to Sow

I certainly try to produce as much food as I can for our family.  I feel that it is very important to know where our food comes from, and know what is in it.  So today, instead of spending the morning Sewing, I decided to do a little Sowing.

Living here in Western Washington, we usually put up with a lot of rain and dreary weather (I am sure you have heard the statistics of depression and suicide in the Pacific Northwest).  But this year, we have had beautiful weather the last three weeks. 

Yesterday and through last night we had a pretty good rain, and the ground is nice and saturated.  I however will never complain!  The rain is what makes it so beautiful here!  And to to be honest, this winter has been very mild, and we need more of it.   

This morning, I saw some signs of life from the peas I planted a few weeks ago.  I wait until the ground warms up to plant most of my garden, but there are a few things that I like to get into the ground early.  I always plant my peas in February.
I also was even able to put in some lettuce and spinach today.  They too, can handle a little cold, and it will be nice to have an early crop.  This is about all I am willing to do for another week or two.  Maybe it's time to get some starts going inside.  But without a greenhouse, I really do not have great luck with them.      
What sort of gardening do you enjoy doing?  Do you get an early jump on it like I do, or play it safe and wait?   

Enjoy your day!
~Corrie

1 comment:

  1. It's always exciting to see your first crop pop up for the season, yay! Sounds like fun to me. Hope quilting is going well behind the scenes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you, and try to get back to everyone. Please remember that if you are a "No Reply Blogger" I cannot respond to your comment. Thanks for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...